Sunday 11 May 2014

Aspergers and mental health disorders....

I've been doing some social networking (mostly Facebook) and I've joined some groups for Aspies...

Finally I feel I have contact with some people who understand me, and have similar 'quirks' to me. 

It got me thinking though, that the more Aspies I experience, the more I see a direct link between Aspies and other mental health disorders.

On a personal note, I have a few mental health issues...


  • ?Bipolar disorder - My psychiatrist is currently diagnosing me with this, they have decided I have a type of bipolar disorder, but not which variant I have yet.
  • Depression - I have held this diagnosis for about 6 years, but it may become replaced by bipolar diagnosis once it is settled upon.
  • Bulimia Nervosa - I have had daily food struggles for as long as I can remember. This has been compounded by my Aspie textural issues... If I had been able to binge on onions and lettuce I may have avoided the weight gain, hence avoiding the vicious cycle of Bulimia. 
  • Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - I'm not your average 'I must clean everywhere' OCD sufferer. My Obsessions revolve around perfectionism and catastrophising. I will spend 48 hours making a list to do, and no time doing. I can't make do without the list, because if I do something in the wrong order I will have horrendous thoughts of the consequences of missing something (ie, something will happen to a family member). I also catastrophise a lot... During my last meltdown, my mum took me for a drive and to my favourite chip shop for a treat. She left me in the car to go to the chip shop for me, and I spent the entire time locking the car doors in case somebody tried to get in the car, I spent the entire time (probably just 5 minutes, but it felt much longer) convinced that she was going to get run over crossing the road, and it would be all my fault for being unwell and wanting that particular chippy and being the reason my mum was out of the house.
  • Anxiety - self explanatory really...


I have other issues too, but not that I believe to be linked to Aspergers...

This has become a bit of  a one way rant about my issues, but I the more that I speak to other Aspies the more I see that there seems to be a high proportion of other Aspies with similar issues... I wonder if we meet the 1 in 4 statistic?? It feels like 3 in 4 Aspies from my experience... I wonder if, with this seeming prevelance, anybody is researching why this may be???


No comments:

Post a Comment