Thursday 22 May 2014

Coping with the Ups and Downs

So... I'm bipolar... I should just get over it,  right,  we all have ups and downs...

Yes,  I know mood fluctuations are natural,  human, 'normal', but it depends on how wide the range they span is.

To me,  a 'high' day isn't a case of getting out of bed without snoozing,  smiling all day,  going for a jog and enjoying a healthy tea.  A high day for me involves making life altering decisions such as spending money I don't have,  deciding to return to uni to retrain without staring my first career,  and doing things that I would ordinarily consider outlandish...  Telling people exactly what I think about anything,  not caring if it offends anybody...

Conversely,  my 'lows',  they are horrific...  A low day for me is a day where I can't move from the sofa,  I wish I would just stop breathing and the thought that I have to live through the same again tomorrow is to much to bear...

I just don't know which end of the spectrum I'm going to be at each day...  On days when I'm high nothing matters,  I don't believe I'm ill,  I go out spending all my money,  and miss appointments...  The only small restriction I have is that anxiety can still intervene,  putting a barrier on my day... Low days I stress about having no money,  offending everyone and being a failure as a human...

My mood diary from the psych showed that I have 'OK' days less than 25% of the time,  25% ish high mood and 50% depressive mood...  So statistically I spend 25% of my life trying to fix myself,  and 75% ballsing everything up :(

I'm hoping that the bipolar diagnosis will open up a support framework to try to stabilise my moods,  maybe giving me a bigger proportion of time to fix my life???? 

sorry this is a bit of a ranty post, feeling a bit trapped today... 

No comments:

Post a Comment